Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sock Hop! Preschoolers experiencing the 50s...






missing so many loved ones.
But God is good and this week has been thoroughly enjoyable. However, I cannot deny the truth- I miss San luis obispo...Cal Poly...my roomies...the life there that I realized I found so much comfort in. I miss my family...talking to my mom whenever I have something to cry about...goofing off with my brothers and drinking coffee with my dad. But I am here. And I pray everyday to be filled with joy as I start my day at work with the kids.
For example, this friday, the preschoolers were exposed to a Sock Hop. For those of you who do not know what that is, I will enlighten you :) A Sock Hop is described as a dated dance for young teenagers at which they may dance in stocking feet. In more informal terms, it is the dancing that goes on in the 50s. The dances where "Grease" is inspired and poodle skirts become a fad. Well...imagine 24 five year olds, with slicked-back hair, leather jackets, poodle skirts, scarves, and pig tails all dancin' a jig with hoola hoops. Now that is a sight for sore eyes :)
This is the perfect example of why I am here. Why I am starting to feel more at peace on this airforce base. The children. They brighten my day. Seeing them get so excited about the simple things in life...about a silly sock hop dance...about getting their picture take in front of a cardboard jukebox they made themselves...about having their parents join them for some hoola hoop fun. How wonderful life is as a child.
So that is why I am here...and that is what I am excited for as I live here these next 3 months. To learn from these children about the joys of life.

1 comment:

  1. Jess! Your pictures look so great! The kids are absolutely ADORABLE! what a fun party. I miss you and having you close by...i'm glad that things are better there. talk to you today! and keep up the awesome photography!

    ReplyDelete